Our Philippine Vacation – Part II (Meeting Ric’s family)

At the request of my hubby, we stayed at their house for our first night. I’m sure he was excited to see his mom again. I was actually thinking that for our first night, it should just be a time for rest. I would rather sleep and rest to have recoup my energy to face our family. But I gave way so he can see his mom at once. So we drove to Makati, where they live, and my memory of this place was coming back- the crowded streets, the bad drivers, lots of people outside. We parked in front of their compound, and we got out of the car. Before we went to the Philippines I have advised my kids that the Philippines is very different from where we live. It is a third world country and lacked in a lot of facilities. My kids were flexible and knew what’s in store for them. I’m actually so proud that they were humble enough and very eager to experience it. But I knew that what they’re most excited about is the food, the people and the beaches. So we got to my hubby’s house and finally met my in laws. Nanay is so welcoming, as if we’ve known each other for so long. She was like a close relative. It didn’t seem like we just met. She was delighted to meet me and my kids as well. The kids were just as happy to finally meet the person behind the voice they talked with in the phone.

So despite our sleepiness, Ric still managed to have their helper buy some beer and pulutan at their nearby talipapa. His friends and brother were all at home to welcome us. So we ate some barbecue and liempo with beer and stories to tell. Ate also suddenly woke up to greet us, she is as nice and warm as well. She gave us a lot of Filipino delicacies to bring as baon to our condo. The night finally ended and we all started to sleep at their second floor room. We were lucky that the room is airconditioned that has been a necessity due to the humidity at that time.

Surprisingly, we had a good sleep through the night, and woke up the next morning feeling refreshed. I still couldn’t believe we were in the Philippines. I kept on peeking outside to check the people, the vendors, small children playing, taxis, tricycle, jeepneys passing. Yup, Ric’s place was busy and right at the center of all these actions, a far cry from our place in the village. I started to call my sister and let her know we have arrived. It was a joy hearing her voice again after a long time. Since Ric is an early riser, he bought us some taho and our favorite, Jollibee breakfast with tapsilog, longsilog and daing na bangus. Our first morning get the kids all excited and riled up.

Ric’s other brother came over and meet us. I remember it was a hot hot day, I could not stop sweating. The day’s schedule consisted of moving our stuff to our condo, visiting their dearly departed relatives, then lunch after. Our condo Montecito was awesome! More awesome were Ric’s brother and his generous friend who lent us their condo FREE of charge! And did I say it was in the newly sosyal ‘Resorts World’? Our condo was at the 2nd floor, and was really nice.





It looks so modern, and we couldn’t thank the owners enough for giving us a place to stay. So after we brought our stuffs down, we drove with Ric’s family to the cemetery and paid respect to their love ones.

Since we were just going to hang out with Ric’s family that day, we decided to have lunch at the famous SM Mall of Asia, Asia’s biggest mall. It is one of our ‘must sees’ for our trip. We ended up having lunch at Gerry’s Grill, which was a good dining experience.



Our food includes sisig, karekare, blue marlin, scallops, their famous dinakdakan, then with halo halo dessert and mango juice. We just had food overload! But it was so good!

I’m glad that we ate lunch at a Mall, so we can stroll after. With how much food we ate, we had to burn some by walking at the mall. So first we went to SM, check out their items.






I remembered I just got a little dizzy with all the people and the items they were selling. I don’t know but it can use a little organization. But I was just observing my surroundings, the sales ladies, the customers. It has been a long time since I hear people speak tagalog in a store. My daughters actually noticed that the sales people always greet them with ‘good after noon maam’ and ‘sir’ for the men. My daughter was approached by a saleslady asking her to audition for modeling. Her eyes lit up and she felt flattered. She along with her sister claimed that they felt at home and felt normal. They felt that they will have a happy shopping galore!

After strolling the mall, we went back to our condo and rested. We suddenly felt sleepy. We skipped dinner due to us still being full and went to sleep. I think that was still around 7pm.

Comments