Our Philippine Vacation – Part IV (Bohol)


I’ve always wanted to see Bohol's Chocolate Hills! It’s such an amazing natural wonder! It’s one of my ‘bucket places’. So I made sure to plan this trip. Thanks to my sister she took care of booking our flight. Because the pesky airphils express website couldn’t handle foreign credit cards. One thing very fun about our PI trip is that we have 4 other family friends who took the same trip with us, but with different dates. Despite the slightly different dates we each had, we still had time to meet up. So one of our family friends joined us on our trip to Bohol. We arrived in Bohol a day earlier than them. I was the one who planned our countryside Tour, and it’s good because we got a good deal.

The day we arrived in Tagbilaran, I didn’t really plan on any transpo to take us to our hotel. I secretly planned on taking the tricycle. Yes, I was crazy, well because I’d like my kids to try riding it. Ric wasn’t so happy about the idea, because as soon as we get out of the airport a lot of drivers swarmed towards us and offered a ride and some tours. He got rattled and thought I didn’t have a plan. Partly yes, but then I told him to just take the tricycle, pass by Bohol bee farm for lunch, which is one of the places I planned to visit. Little did we know that it took around 30 minutes of tricycle ride to Bohol bee farm, and the entrance to the farm is not paved, just stones. So imagine the bumpy ride. But I only dwell with the positives as my kids and all of us did enjoy the ride. And our Boholano driver is really nice telling us about their famous city. There were not a lot of transpo available at Bohol Bee Farm so we asked Manong to wait for us.




The place is really scenic!. It’s a resto beside the sea. Plus there is a farm too. We proceeded to take the table nearest the sea, to feel the fresh breeze of the wind. Very relaxing.

The food was good at Bohol Bee farm. We got the special, that includes soup, shrimp, squid, blue marlin, rice. The 2 got I think the barbecue ribs and pasta. I love the rice and that ‘kamote like’ food I don’t know what it is, but it’s yellow. We also got a sample of their bread and their homemade spread. And of course, we had a serving each of their famous malunggay ice cream, and ube. All delish. At that time, we all rested and had a happier mood.

After an hour or 2, we headed back to our tricycle, and manong said we are halfway to our hotel. We reached the beach. It wasn’t really halfway, but less than that. We gave manong a very generous tip. As we step into the beach, we first thought it was crowded and small. We checked in our hotel at Los Horizon, although it looks good outside, the inside could be better. I thought we’re getting the 2 double beds, but then they were actually 2 twin beds. I was a little p’o’d as I thought we were misinformed. Anyway, they said there weren’t really any 2 double beds in any rooms so they gave us 2 extra twin mattresses.

We rested and checked out the beach. The beach did have white sand, but I didn’t like that there were boats docked in front.




We just strolled along the shoreline, and checked out the other restos and hotel.




At night, the resto’s turn alive, as they arranged tables and chairs along with tiki torches by the beach. We ate at Los Horizon’s resto that night. We ordered some pork chops, fish, chicken complete with mango juice of course. There was a nightly Jazz music entertainment. We enjoyed so much this relaxing dinner ambiance by the beach.

We got up the next morning really early for our Island Hopping Tour, with dolphin watching. Unfortunately there were no dolphins that time. But that’s okay, we have seen and touched dolphins before. My most favorite part of this tour is the snorkeling in Panglao Island. I have never snorkeled before. Panglao island is a gem, especially for me who’s not a diver. This island has very beautiful corals and fishes close to its shore. It’s not on the deepest part of the ocean. So I was really enjoying my time snorkeling with my kids. This experience is indeed one of my most unforgettable one. Love, love, love swimming with the fishes and just awing the pretty corals. I made sure I enjoyed every second if it.




We ate lunch at Panglao because we were hungry after swimming. The food is good but some say it’s pricey. O well, anything to help the people, we were sucked in to buy some souvenir stuffs as well, but we just love the Boholanos that’s why were so warm with them.

Our next stop is the Balicasig island and this is a small island with the biggest shore. Really pretty, we swam a little and just walked the very long shore around it.



We got back and at that same time our family friends have arrived. Their room is actually beside ours, what a coincidence. While waiting for dinner time, we playfully had some art henna body paintings, fake tattoo…haven’t had it before, and at that time we felt like real beachy people…=) We had dinner with our family friends and my kids finally have someone to talk to.

The next morning, we ate a hearty breakfast again, corned beef, daing na bangus, sinangag, coffee to start off what would be a long day trip to the Countryside. A large white van arrived, and parked somewhere near our hotel. I thought it was our van, but then when it parked by the hotel room thought it was a private one. So we went back to our room and get ready. By the time we went out our friends were already waiting. A young man approached us and asked if I was Tina, and he introduced himself as the driver for our trip, his name was ‘Arvin’ and we all smiled because it was the same name of our family friend. The van was indeed ours. I got so excited because it was clean, new and white.

Our first stop is the Tarsier. They’re really teeny tiny monkeys with big eyes.



The next stop is the Man Made Forest. It’s supposed to be serene and scenic, but there were a lot of tourists passing and taking pics like us.




And then Here it is! ~~ Chocolate Hills. While on our way to this place, I was getting excited that I thought some of the mountains were already one those hills…But they said it was not…hahah. We arrived at the observatory, climbed all the way up to see the top view of the hills and admired the majestic view. What a natural wonder! I finally can cross out this one from my list of places to see.




It was around noon when we went down the stairs and it was now time for lunch. Our lunch was at the Loboc Rive Cruise. We upgraded to the high end option which was an extra 100 Pesos. It was worth it, our food was better and the raft was a cute big green tortoise.



Fred Panopio provided a fun music entertainment (okay, it was only his look-alike but he sounds like him as well). The cruise was really scenic! Love the river, the trees and the relaxing atmosphere.



Great, great lunch! We stop over at the Ati Tribe village, where a miniature Ati-atihan tribe greeted us…not really sure if they’re painted or not, but they’re really dark and looked real. But we had fun taking pics with them, posing as they gargle fuel and blow fire. Somehow I was a little sad that they had to do those stuff to earn money.




Our next stop was the butterfly conservatory. At first I wasn’t too excited about seeing butterflies, since I have seen a lot of those in the US, but I admire our tourist guide, coz he made this tour really fun! He’s so funny! We always laughed at his jokes and stories. And he spoke real good English!




Our next stop is the largest python. And although I saw a lot of snakes before, this one, they actually allowed us to go inside the cage and touch it. I was hesitant at first, but this could be my only chance, so I did it quickly.




An added attraction was Marimar, the gay caretaker…He looks so cute and funny. With other trips, they said he puts on a show, but he didn’t on ours…O well.

The hanging bridge was a great experience also. It was my first time to pass any hanging bridges. There was only one bridge that time, so it was 2 way, which was an added scare point. Of course just as with any attraction, there were souvenir stores when you reached the other end of the bridge.




The church was our next stop. Okay, I’m a little skeptical of the images on this old church, the one with Father Pio and Mother Mary, but the locals really believed that. I am a Catholic, but as I grow older, I become more practical about my faith. I refuse to be a blind follower anymore.

We toured the old church, as with other Spanish era churches, I admire the art and attention to detail the inner construction was. Plus the life-size statues of Jesus, Mary and the Saints. I remember when I was young, I was so scared of them especially during the holy week procession in Laguna. But every year, a lot of people gather and participate in it.



So we went inside, and following the old policy of churches to dress properly, we were given shawls and sarong to cover our skin. I was wearing romper with shorts from Forever 21, so I felt dirtee, heheh, same with my kids as well. But the second floor contains antiques and relics of the church. It does contain a rich history but it’s a little eerie. That’s why when I told the group, we need to recite something to make sure there were no spirits that would go with us…haha.

Then we got to the Blood Compact Shrine. It started to rain when we got out of the van, but we still ran out and took a few quick pix. It was fun! But then we didn’t really explore this place, so we went back the next day.




Our last stop was at the Souvenir Shop. We regretted buying from the attraction places, when the souvenir shops had more items and are cheaper. They have shirts, accessories, foods, everything, plus they give you a coupon when you get in.

Then we head back to our hotel. This time we tried the pizza at Hayahay, after finally getting tired of rice and grilled stuff. Pizza was good.

At night while the guys were having relaxing conversation with beer, we, wives got some massages to relax our tired bodies.

We headed back to Manila the next morning, but before that we decided to pass by the Blood Compact Shrine again and just explore the place one last time.

Comments

  1. we will be going back to bohol in january! thanks for your blog about it! i'm following you from GT. :)

    i have an award for you at my blog! http://thejaggedbarn.blogspot.com/2011/10/sunshine-award-2011.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment