Gymless Workouts

If you’re like me who is commitment phobic to gym memberships, then there is a way to workout even without going to the gym. I’m a person who likes variety, whether it be programs, venues, styles. Whether you workout at your home or at the gym, you’d still have the discipline to follow a workout schedule. For me though, at this point, I’m at maintenance mode. You can only be at maintenance mode when you’re at your ideal weight. Before summer started, I followed a workout routine to have at least a ‘bathing-suit worthy’ figure ready. Depending on your fitness goals, you have several choices outside the gym. I have one workout rule I try to follow, and this is, D - diet comes first (eating healthy and in the right portion), C- cardio to burn excess fats, S- strength training for endurance and A – abs and the core for toning and balance. A good workout consists of these 4 essential parts. And as with working out in a gym, you’d still have to invest in good quality pair of shoes and workout clothes. Choose cute clothes to rev you up to workout. Here’s the ones I already tried. This article would touch everything except Diet.

1. Walking/Jogging/Running – really simple. You can hit anywhere with a sidewalk, whether in your village or at any park, and just start walking. Then at your pace you can start walking faster, jog or run. Of course running will burn more calories. And you can join some fun runs as little as a 1k or the more challenging 5k or 10k.
2. Take the Stairs – If you’re lucky enough to work in an office building more than 10 floors, there’s your workout. I really like this workout.
3. DVDs- I have tried the biggest loser DVD series (cardio max, power sculpt and boot camp), and they worked great. I used them as part of my pre-beach preparation. Others said that P90X and Insanity are very good programs too.
4. Youtube videos – yes, there are a lot of exercise videos out there that you can try. So far, I’ve tried some yoga programs, hip hop cardio, kickboxing, body attack and target area specifics like abs, arms, butt workouts. I love it that I can get to search for something new, or at least a different take on the same goals.
5. Buy a low cost home workout machine – we have a stationary bike and it is very accessible when I needed to burn some calories. But my favorite exercise machine is the elliptical, and that’s what I want next.
6. Workout tools, such as weights, resistance bands, ball, or the total gym equipment – I don’t have the total gym equipment because it’s too space hugging, but I do have some weights. If you do have the space, then you can invest in them too.
7. Sports – Badminton, tennis, bowling are recreational sports you can take with friends. If you want to be more serious, you can join some adult sport leagues.
8. Dance, dance, dance! – Fun and healthy as always!

So, there’s a lot of ways to workout and just taking that first step, goes a long way. There’s just no excuse for not even trying. I admit, there are times when watching tv is more interesting than working out, or getting a few more minutes of sleep is more what I need or I am just being lazy to get up. As long as you don’t stall and get back to being active again, that’s fine. They’re all just up to your realistic workout goals. My future workout goal is to be lean, but I know it takes a lot of discipline getting there. So we’ll see.

Comments

  1. Right! my no. 5 on my list...I would love to have an elliptical.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment