Farewell Little Boy

Our friend lost their child last Monday. I got the news that night. At first I didn’t know how to react. I was speechless and didn’t know what to say. It hasn’t sank in yet. I just knew that someone that’s used to be here on earth wouldn’t be here anymore. I haven’t realized the gravity of it yet. The next morning, while I was driving to work, that’s when it finally sank in, the reality that their little baby is gone. As a mother, that is the one that we most fear, to lose a child. And I cried. I cried because I am a mother like her. Everyday, we pray to God to guide our children, to take care of them. Especially for me, I am a working mom to teens. When I read news about the bad things happening to kids such as kidnapping, rape, or being struck by vehicles, I have that fear. I also have the fear of them being sick, I’m on my toes and up all night worrying until they are fine and well. If I can only look out for them every minute of their lives, I will do it. But I can’t do that. I can only do as much. I can’t control everything. I also have to give them wings, to trust in God’s care, that everything will be fine, to trust my community and neighbors that they will look out for my kids.

That little baby had a short sweet life. He was taken back by our heavenly father in an abrupt moment, only he knows why. The days before he passed, I saw a very calm and angelic little boy. I knew he was smaller than his siblings when they were his age, but I saw a nice and kind little boy. I told her mother. He was jolly and smiled all the time so no one had any clue. So that was hard to accept. We will miss him, but as I told my friend, I hope she finds comfort in knowing that her baby is now in heaven. No mother would like to be in her shoes, because I know it is hard and painful, I just can’t imagine. I’d like to tell her to grieve as much and as long as she like, because grieving doesn’t have to be quick. Losing a child is forever. We’ll just always hope that the time will come when we can accept that our child has passed on, no longer physically here with us but with us in spirit, and just take joy of the happy memories he left.

Comments