Why I hate and love Facebook

So right now there are millions and millions of FB users around the world. I cannot argue how popular and so influential/powerful this thing is. It literally connects people all over the world. And it continues to grow each day. I know Myspace started this online networking, but FB just overtook it. There was also Friendster, which was popular in Asia. Somehow, there’s something in FB that the others don’t, besides its catchy title.

The man behind this, Mark Z, now the youngest billionaire is now laughing his way to the bank. I haven’t watched the movie yet, but I know he has help in building this. It wasn’t his original idea, because like I mentioned, there was myspace previously. But myspace was only like a profile db, and I don’t think it was meant to network. FB connected people and grew from there. He hit the jackpot when he just made it so much bigger and better. He catered not only to teens, but the adults and olds alike. It has been a venue to look for long lost families and friends. And because everyone has now jumped on the FB bandwagon, you wouldn’t want to be left out, so more people are joining. Consumer marketing saw this big opportunity to reach out to people and advertise their products, and so that’s how the big bucks for FB started. You know when a website is a market target based on its views or visitors.

Facebook is a narcissist’s haven, it’s a therapy for those who need attention. But for someone who values privacy, it’s too open. And this is my cons. Although I love to share stuffs about my life and take a peak about others’ as well, I loathe when it’s too open for others to see. Yes, there are privacy controls, but I’m too lazy to set them. What I like to share my family and closest friend, might not be what I want to share to others.

Comments