A Tale of 2 Judges

I love a lot of things about Texas, but there’s one that I don’t. It’s capital punishment. Today, as I was driving to work, I heard on the radio, that a prisoner was just put to rest by lethal injection. His crime: a hate crime. He murdered 2 people of middle eastern descent as a sign of his disgust to the 9/11 events. I don’t know when he murdered them, but it’s probably close to 9/11. A third one survived, and unexpectedly appealed to his attacker’s execution. He said that his attacker has been sorry for his crime and paid his dues, and he was appealing to the courts that instead of executing him, just be given life imprisonment. He believes that he can be an instrument or a spokesperson against racial crimes and can help others not to be one. Just last night, I've already heard that he was given his last meal and the appeal was still news. But the appeal was not strong enough to the court to warrant a review nor delay, it’s the law and the ones who carry the proceedings out have nothing to say but to be professional about it. But In my birth country, this will be all over the news, and the people will all be emotional about it. It happened before when a fellow countryman was executed in another country.

He committed a crime and was punished. That’s the law. But sometimes, you’d have to look what’s a better outcome. The survivor, for me was right, they could use him to be as an instrument for any cultural divisions or hate. But I guess I understand that for a country to progress, it should take the law as black and white, never gray. But when all’s done, the one judge that really matter is the one we’ll all meet up there.

Comments