Lifestyle Changes

Diet and exercise alone don’t help us stay fit and healthy, it may help short-term. For long-term changes to our physical and mental being, we have to make some lifestyle changes. Choosing what is better for us in the long run. I am proud that I have made some lifestyle changes in me. First is not eating anything white (bread or rice only). I eat brown rice and wheat bread only. (Of course, during parties, and in restaurants where they’re not available, I cave on occasion, but I limit my intake). In our pantry/ref, you will not find any sodas. It’s not a change though, but this has been decided by us as long as I can remember, that’s why my mom thinks I’m a cheapskate for not stocking up sodas, because she can’t find any when she visits. I just say, we don’t drink sodas. Instead, we have water, juice and milk. Our fruit basket should always have something, bananas, apples, oranges, pears are our favorites. We literally don’t feel sufficient without them. It’s good for our body and as a décor. We do have some indulges in moderation, like ice cream, cakes, chocolates, but they last long, and take longer to consume, good for us. Chips, are only for school snacks, but just seldom. We do have crackers, nuts, and popcorn as alternatives. I now drink vitamins everyday, and they are : multivitamins and calcium. On times when I feel it, I drink the fish oil, since not all Filipino foods are heart – healthy, but I still eat them. I also make sure to have enough sleep. Sleep is important to me, now that my body is not young anymore to endure late night activities. Even if there are chores to be done, if I need to sleep, I will sleep. They can wait, but my body can’t.

Exercise is tricky, I love to exercise, but I have asthma, and when I get sick with just seasonal colds or allergy, it triggers my asthma. So I have to stop for weeks. But at least I can always go back. It’s just a way of my body telling me that I need rest as well. Plus endless chores can compensate my lack of exercise. I do have maintained and managed my weight to be in its ideal range for a long time, so I’m good, and I give a pass for my lack of exercise.

My goal is to live healthy, I’m not completely there yet, but I’m moving towards the right direction. One thing I’d like to improve more is work-related stress. It’s not really the work that’s stressing me out, but the commute. I have a long commute, so sometimes I pay the toll just to cut my commute time, and do you know, that I secretly love coming in late due to the non-rush hour? It’s not my choice though, it’s my child’s schedule that I follow. I’ll also hire more help in maintaining our house. And what do you know, my kids instantly need more money for their teen-related stuffs and activities, so problem solved! My body’s telling me that I need to take care of it more, so I’ll do it.

Comments