In Search of a Replacement Car

My first car is now 13 yrs old. It's ready to semi-retire, meaning no more long drives. In 2 yrs I'm ready to see my daughter get her first car that was once my first car. I would have to say that my car has been like my partner, it's been with me for long and have given me that unquestionable service and loyalty. We traveled together for work and family visits. That is why it's hard to part with it, I wanted to save it, but I can only do as much. Like humans, nothing can save it from aging. You might save the outside, but the insides will slowly give up. I'd like to give this to my daughter and hopefully serve her a good 5 more years.

So now, I'm searching for a new car. I'm torn between a boring, but cheap dependable car and a pricier but fun cool car. My responsible self tells me that a car is just that, a means for transport. And there are other things I need to worry about such as appliances that need to be replaced, house upgrades or of course the kids' college. But my adventurous self want me to have a fun car, I have worked hard and long, and I should deserve a car that I want.

For my boring car options, I am thinking of getting another civic, a corolla, fit, yaris or matrix. Among my requirements are good gas mileage, low maintenance, adjustable driver seat and good support for my back.

For my fun car options, they range from small suvs to some cute luxury cars. I'd like a crv, forrester, accord coupe, lexus is250 and the bmw 328i so far. For the price, I'd like to think they're sleek, more powerful and dependable, but the downsides are of course the price, they're not fuel efficient and are high maint.

I'm still weighing my options. I can afford the boring ones new, but the fun ones probably in the slightly used category. I don't necessarily put my car's design in my top priorities, and being a frugal person would really value everything i purchase. No one says a nice luxury car is a good investment. You'd only purchase it as a nice to have. And I value travel more that cars. But let's see which me would win.

Comments