Dinner at the White House - Had to let this out

Why do good things come when you least expect them, when you don't have any idea how much regret you'll feel letting it go?

When I was somewhat new here, maybe 5 or 6 yrs, unstable, just getting by with a measly income, I got an invitation from the White House for a dinner for 2. At first I thought it was some kind of a prank, after just getting ripped off from an offer of extended warranty on my car. Anyway, I opened the invite addressed to me on a White House letterhead explaining that I have been chosen as one of just a few random citizens to partake in a White HOuse dinner at 1600 Pensylvannia Ave, Washington, DC. I didn't realize the extent of that grandiose invitation, until just recently when I found one that has been invited as well, and so I remember, 'Hey I got one of those too.' I thought to myself 'Now, why didn't I go again? And where is that invitation, What?! I didn't even save it, and just trashed it? What on earth was I thinking?! That was an invitation from the President of the United States of America! for crying out out loud!'. At that time, it was still George Bush.

Maybe I didn't go because I had to secure air tickets, book a hotel, reserve a rental car, buy myself a nice gown, use vacation time, which I'm sure I couldn't afford at that time. And who'll take care of my kids? What about ettiquette? What am I actually expected to do there? Of course, i forgave myself letting that once in a lifetime experience go, but what I couldn't accept is that I didn't even save that Invitation... Now, I'm ready, but o well, wishful thinking to get 2 of those in a lifetime.

Comments